156 - Worship 101
The PowerBreak Podcast
Program 156 – SHOW NOTES
THE Q&A FORMAT
- OPEN with Tease
(Bob) “This is the PowerBreak Podcast, number 156 titled:
Pause for 5 seconds
– I’m Bob Brubaker along with JT as we hope you will stay tuned as we seek to give you a little power in this break to help you succeed in the race of life.”
- (JT) This is the – PowerBreak Podcast – with a focus on the spiritual, the mental, and the physical aspects – all to help you succeed in the race of life. For show notes from today’s podcast go to bobbrubaker.com and follow the link for the PowerBreak podcast.
- Welcome – Bob and JT – chit chat about life, walk with God, training, etc.
BB&JT: Plea and thank you for ratings and review & for spreading the word via social media and word of mouth…
BB – Today we’re talking about worshipping God. One of your favorite subjects… .. What do you look forward to the most in worship and how do you prepare?
- Bob – POINT: The worship of God is serious business, something about which He’s given us some pointed instruction and encouragement: as Jesus pointed out…
John 4:23–24 (ESV) — 23 But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. 24 God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”
Maybe it would be good to look at Worship 101
- JT ------ OK THEN LET’S TALK SOME MORE ABOUT THAT as we bring up… WHAT’S NEW – as we open Bob’s recent blog from bobbrubaker.com …
Bob, tell us what you wrote in your blog,
- Presentation and discussion of Bob’s published article,
- Bob and JT discuss highlights of the PowerBreak blog
- Bob concludes with “The PowerBreak blog is found at bobbrubaker.com” ((((:03 PAUSE))))
- JT – What’s happening Bob? Any news we need to know about this week?
- Bob - “Finding Delight In The Lord’s Day” and –… & Sermon link on the website.
- JT – This is the PowerBreak Podcast, I’m JT along with Bob Brubaker and this is the –– time for some questions and answers. Feel free to submit your questions by EMAIL TO JT@bobbrubaker.com and we’ll get to the answer on an upcoming PowerBreak. Podcast…
- JT – Question ONE - FROM THE SPIRITUAL SIDE OF LIFE….
Let’s talk about preparing for worship. How should we prepare for such an important part of our week?
That’s the first thing… Seeing worship as a priority. God has made us to be worshippers so the most important thing you could do in a given week is worship Him.
Mark 12:28–31 (ESV) — 28 And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all?” 29 Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
So to love God with all that is within you means you honor Him or bless Him with honorable prepared for worship.
Stop and think about it… if you want to really excel in worshipping God on Sunday with the church body – it would make sense that you would be diligent in your private as well as your family worship. These are two neglected things and often people feel like they can just show up on Sunday and give God appropriate worship.
As a believer or follower of Jesus Christ it makes sense that your daily schedule includes time for God in His word and in prayer. As you seek to be an influence upon your family it also makes sense you treat family time as a time to teach and affirm things you believe. The use of a catechism or teaching by question and answer is very affective on this… realizing of course if you are not leading your children in family worship and teaching them the things of God they are being catechized or taught values from the world every day.
So preparation begins really when the previous week’s service has ended as you apply what God has provided in the worship service. Applying yourself to personal worship through the week, as well as family worship, AND… giving thought to the upcoming service in prayer and if possible review of songs, reading ahead for the pastor’s message, etc.
Psalm 122:1 (ESV) — 1 I was glad when they said to me, “Let us go to the house of the Lord!”
On Sunday morning – getting up with plenty of time to prayerfully prepare yourself to get to church in plenty of time… to encourage others, and be in your seat and ready for things to begin.
Psalm 84:10 (ESV) — 10 For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness.
- JT – Question Two… “FROM THE MENTAL ASPECT”
You covered many “mental” things in the Spiritual aspect in preparing for worship but what are some other “mental points” to apply to be best prepared for worship.
- Reconciling with anyone you may have offended. ((Matt 5)
- Reconciling with anyone who has offended you. ((Matt 18)
After the service avoid critical words about the preacher, the singers, musicians, etc.
Talk about points of application from what you have heard… and write down personal points of admonition to yourself.
- (JT) Third Question …. Turning to the physical aspect of life….
Let’s talk about staying cool when working out in the heat. What’s your take?
- BB & JT discuss ---
First and foremost is keep a handle on hydration. Don’t go too long without hydrating.
Ways to keep cool including water on your head as it evaporates, ICE in your cap if you are on a long run (((IM))), ICE SAUSAGE ((TDF))) OR EVEN a wet bandana around your neck.
Don’t try to be a hero and do more than you are ready to do…
What say you JT?
Bob’s final comment – It takes discipline ….
Point: DISCIPLINE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE --- in all aspects of life
Closing statement Bob…. “check out today’s show notes at bobbrubaker.com and click on the PowerBreak podcast – today’s show is 156.
- JT – Submit your questions by EMAIL to JT@bobbrubaker.com and listen for Bob’s answer on an upcoming PowerBreak Podcast
- (((commercial by Bob))) --- Finding Delight In the Lord’s Day
(((pause for music transition)))
- (JT) Thank you for joining us for the PowerBreak Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a review where-ever you have downloaded the podcast. Check out the show notes, news, Bob’s weekly blog, and other cool things at bobbrubabaker.com and listen next time for the – “powerbreak podcast.