154 - Content But Not Complacent
The PowerBreak Podcast
Program 154 – SHOW NOTES
THE Q&A FORMAT
- OPEN with Tease
(Bob) “This is the PowerBreak Podcast, number 154 titled:
Content But Not Complacent
Pause for 5 seconds
– I’m Bob Brubaker along with JT as we hope you will stay tuned as we seek to give you a little power in this break to help you succeed in the race of life.”
- (JT) This is the – PowerBreak Podcast – with a focus on the spiritual, the mental, and the physical aspects – all to help you succeed in the race of life. For show notes from today’s podcast go to bobbrubaker.com and follow the link for the PowerBreak podcast.
- Welcome – Bob and JT – chit chat about life, walk with God, training, etc.
BB&JT: Plea and thank you for ratings and review & for spreading the word via social media and word of mouth…
BB – Today we’re talking about “Content But Not Complacent” .. What does that bring to mind?
- Bob – POINT: Contentment is NOT complacency --- for sure. The Bible is very clear about the importance of contentment, something the Apostle Paul said he learned. On the other hand, complacency is nothing but a squandering of what God has provided and such an attitude is given a great deal of attention in the Bible as something that does not please God.
Proverbs 6:6–11 (ESV) — 6 Go to the ant, O sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise. 7 Without having any chief, officer, or ruler, 8 she prepares her bread in summer and gathers her food in harvest. 9 How long will you lie there, O sluggard? When will you arise from your sleep? 10 A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, 11 and poverty will come upon you like a robber, and want like an armed man.
- JT ------ OK THEN LET’S TALK SOME MORE ABOUT THAT as we bring up… WHAT’S NEW – as we open Bob’s recent blog from bobbrubaker.com …
Bob, tell us what you wrote in your blog,
Content But Not Complacent
- Presentation and discussion of Bob’s published article,
- Bob and JT discuss highlights of the PowerBreak blog
Content But Not Complacent
- Bob concludes with “The PowerBreak blog is found at bobbrubaker.com” ((((:03 PAUSE))))
- JT – What’s happening Bob? Any news we need to know about this week?”…
- Bob - “The Power Of Gratitude” and –… & Sermon link on the website.
- JT – This is the PowerBreak Podcast, I’m JT along with Bob Brubaker and this is the –– time for some questions and answers. Feel free to submit your questions by EMAIL TO JT@bobbrubaker.com and we’ll get to the answer on an upcoming PowerBreak. Podcast…
- JT – Question ONE - FROM THE SPIRITUAL SIDE OF LIFE….
How do we learn to be content?
Philippians 4:10–13 (ESV) — 10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. 11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
1 Timothy 6:5–10 (ESV) — 5 and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain. 6 But godliness with contentment is great gain, 7 for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. 8 But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. 9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.
- JT – Question Two… “FROM THE MENTAL ASPECT” –
I get the spiritual side… but from a mental standpoint – how do we keep from going to the other ditch of complacency when we are trying to be content?
Proverbs 24:30–34 (ESV) — 30 I passed by the field of a sluggard, by the vineyard of a man lacking sense, 31 and behold, it was all overgrown with thorns; the ground was covered with nettles, and its stone wall was broken down. 32 Then I saw and considered it; I looked and received instruction. 33 A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, 34 and poverty will come upon you like a robber, and want like an armed man.
Complacency is not contentment and should not be mistaken for it, although some people excuse their laziness under the banner of “learning to be content.” You can be content or be learning contentment where you are while continuing to do what needs to be done to improve yourself and your situation. The difference is the approach. If you focus on results which are out of your control, then you’ll be disappointed often. If you focus on improvement and doing your best as you rely upon God, His word, and the strength and power of the Lord Jesus Christ, then you’ll have a reason to be content. If you are lazy and basically doing nothing but complaining about your situation, then you’ll never find contentment.
- (JT) Third Question …. Turning to the physical aspect of life….
On that subject… let’s talk about the times when we are training or racing and things aren’t going well and we feel like quitting. Is it best just to quit OR push through?
- BB & JT discuss ---
- Plan for hard scenarios and how you’ll handle them
- Focus on intermediate goals – not just the end goal
- Make sure you cover the hydration and nutrition needs so you don’t BONK
- When your physical situation dictates you stop – (((dehydration)))
- When your equipment dictates you stop
- When conditions are such that continuing on makes no sense (((careful))
Bob’s final comment – It takes discipline ….
Point: DISCIPLINE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE --- in all aspects of life
Closing statement Bob…. “check out today’s show notes at bobbrubaker.com and click on the PowerBreak podcast – today’s show is 154.
- JT – Submit your questions by EMAIL to JT@bobbrubaker.com and listen for Bob’s answer on an upcoming PowerBreak Podcast
- (((commercial by Bob))) --- The Power Of Gratitude
(((pause for music transition)))
- (JT) Thank you for joining us for the PowerBreak Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a review where-ever you have downloaded the podcast. Check out the show notes, news, Bob’s weekly blog, and other cool things at bobbrubabaker.com and listen next time for the – “powerbreak podcast.