139 - Buttermilk In The Frig
The PowerBreak Podcast
Program 139 – SHOW NOTES
THE Q&A FORMAT
- OPEN with Tease
(Bob) “This is the PowerBreak Podcast, number 139 titled:
Buttermilk In The Frig
Pause for 5 seconds
– I’m Bob Brubaker along with JT as we hope you will stay tuned as we seek to give you a little power in this break to help you succeed in the race of life.”
- (JT) This is the – PowerBreak Podcast – with a focus on the spiritual, the mental, and the physical aspects – all to help you succeed in the race of life. For show notes from today’s podcast go to bobbrubaker.com and follow the link for the PowerBreak podcast.
- Welcome – Bob and JT – chit chat about life, walk with God, training, etc.
BB&JT: Plea and thank you for ratings and review & for spreading the word via social media and word of mouth…
BB – How good are you at making excuses?
JT: ANSWER, --- How about you?
BB: ANSWER AND SEQUE
- Bob – POINT: We’ve all done it… made some lame excuse for not doing something we said we’d do… or doing something that was just not right… Instead of making excuses – we need to live up to our commitments as we are reminded in God’s word…
Ephesians 5:15–17 (ESV) — 15 Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
- JT ------ OK THEN LET’S TALK SOME MORE ABOUT THAT as we bring up… WHAT’S NEW – as we open Bob’s recent blog from bobbrubaker.com …
Bob, tell us what you wrote in your blog,
Buttermilk In The Frig
- Presentation and discussion of Bob’s published article,
- Bob and JT discuss highlights of the PowerBreak blog
“Buttermilk In The Frig
- Bob concludes with “The PowerBreak blog is found at bobbrubaker.com” ((((:03 PAUSE))))
- JT – What’s happening Bob? Any news we need to know about this week?”…
- Bob - “The Battle For The Mind” and –… & Sermon link on the website.
- JT – This is the PowerBreak Podcast, I’m JT along with Bob Brubaker and this is the –– time for some questions and answers. Feel free to submit your questions by EMAIL TO JT@bobbrubaker.com and we’ll get to the answer on an upcoming PowerBreak. Podcast…
- JT – Question ONE - FROM THE SPIRITUAL SIDE OF LIFE….
How can you help a person who is locked into always making bogus excuses?
- A good rule of thumb is to approach that person with a question because a question makes them think and probably accuse themselves – whereas an accusation sets the person up for resistance to anything you point out.
- Maybe ask them if they have buttermilk in the frig… and tell the story that goes with that… which is another disarming point.
Luke 14:16–24 (ESV) — 16 But he said to him, “A man once gave a great banquet and invited many. 17 And at the time for the banquet he sent his servant to say to those who had been invited, ‘Come, for everything is now ready.’ 18 But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said to him, ‘I have bought a field, and I must go out and see it. Please have me excused.’ 19 And another said, ‘I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to examine them. Please have me excused.’ 20 And another said, ‘I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.’ 21 So the servant came and reported these things to his master. Then the master of the house became angry and said to his servant, ‘Go out quickly to the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in the poor and crippled and blind and lame.’ 22 And the servant said, ‘Sir, what you commanded has been done, and still there is room.’ 23 And the master said to the servant, ‘Go out to the highways and hedges and compel people to come in, that my house may be filled. 24 For I tell you, none of those men who were invited shall taste my banquet.’ ”
Obviously if we care about the person – their making excuses is an indication of a lack of integrity of not living up to their word…
Proverbs 11:3 (ESV) — 3 The integrity of the upright guides them, but the crookedness of the treacherous destroys them.
- JT – Question Two… “FROM THE MENTAL ASPECT” –
What can we do mentally to put a stop to excuse making?
- Make fun of the excuse without making light of making excuses.
- Ask God to help you live up to your commitments as a way of honoring Him.
- Be diligent about being a person of your word…
- (JT) Third Question …. Turning to the physical aspect of life….
There’s much written about the good in fasting but there’s a variety of opinions about fasting and working out. What’s your take?
- BB & JT discuss ---
- Benefits from fasting
- Benefits from training
- Fasting and light training
- Fasting and hard training
- Avoiding the bonk
Bob’s final comment – It takes discipline …. To do it smart and not overdo it…
Point: DISCIPLINE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE --- in all aspects of life
Closing statement Bob…. “check out today’s show notes at bobbrubaker.com and click on the PowerBreak podcast – today’s show is 139.
- JT – Submit your questions by EMAIL to JT@bobbrubaker.com and listen for Bob’s answer on an upcoming PowerBreak Podcast
- (((commercial by Bob))) ---The Battle For The Mind
(((pause for music transition)))
- (JT) Thank you for joining us for the PowerBreak Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a review where-ever you have downloaded the podcast. Check out the show notes, news, Bob’s weekly blog, and other cool things at bobbrubabaker.com and listen next time for the – “powerbreak podcast.”