136 - Overcoming Weariness
The PowerBreak Podcast
Program 136 – SHOW NOTES
THE Q&A FORMAT
- OPEN with Tease
(Bob) “This is the PowerBreak Podcast, number 136 titled:
Pause for 5 seconds
– I’m Bob Brubaker along with JT as we hope you will stay tuned as we seek to give you a little power in this break to help you succeed in the race of life.”
- (JT) This is the – PowerBreak Podcast – with a focus on the spiritual, the mental, and the physical aspects – all to help you succeed in the race of life. For show notes from today’s podcast go to bobbrubaker.com and follow the link for the PowerBreak podcast.
- Welcome – Bob and JT – chit chat about life, walk with God, training, etc.
BB&JT: Plea and thank you for ratings and review & for spreading the word via social media and word of mouth…
BB – Have you ever grown weary in doing what is right?
BB: How did you get over it?
- Bob – POINT: We all face it. We know what to do, we begin to do it, but without some kind of instant gratification – we begin to grow weary… and if we’re not careful, our weariness will lead to giving up on what we are doing…. In the physical, mental, or the spiritual activities of life.
Galatians 6:9 (ESV) — 9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV) — 58 Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.
- JT ------ OK THEN LET’S TALK SOME MORE ABOUT THAT as we bring up… WHAT’S NEW – as we open Bob’s recent blog from bobbrubaker.com …
Bob, tell us what you wrote in your blog,
- Presentation and discussion of Bob’s published article,
- Bob and JT discuss highlights of the PowerBreak blog
- Bob concludes with “The PowerBreak blog is found at bobbrubaker.com” ((((:03 PAUSE))))
- JT – What’s happening Bob? Any news we need to know about this week?”…
- Bob - “Running To Win” and –… & Sermon link on the website.
- JT – This is the PowerBreak Podcast, I’m JT along with Bob Brubaker and this is the –– time for some questions and answers. Feel free to submit your questions by EMAIL TO JT@bobbrubaker.com and we’ll get to the answer on an upcoming PowerBreak. Podcast…
- JT – Question ONE - FROM THE SPIRITUAL SIDE OF LIFE….
If weariness is just a part of life, maybe as a test, how can we overcome those feelings of weariness even while we are doing what is right?
The first thing is to keep our first love ever before us… from the spiritual side of life, our spiritual motivation is LOVE. Love for God because of His love for us…
1 John 4:19 (ESV) — 19 We love because he first loved us.
2 Corinthians 5:14 (ESV) — 14 For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died;
SO everything we do is out of that love. – that means we’re not trying to earn salvation or earn God’s favor … He’s provided salvation in the Lord Jesus Christ and He’s been favorable to us by His own free and sovereign will… according to His good pleasure. Our response then is out of love.
Our weariness happens according to Revelation 2 --- is when we loose sight of that first love that we had for God when He first stepped into our lives, drawing us to Himself and saving us… Out of a response to His grace, our hearts cried out, “Lord, what would you have me to do?” or as one preacher said, “after all He’s done for me, there isn’t anything I wouldn’t do for Him.”
Revelation 2:2–5 (ESV) — 2 “ ‘I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are evil, but have tested those who call themselves apostles and are not, and found them to be false. 3 I know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name’s sake, and you have not grown weary. 4 But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. 5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent.
Remember – Repent – Return to the original motivation…
Anything else is manipulation and becomes unacceptable service to God because any motivation other than love (our love for Him prompted by His love for us)… becomes some sort of an attempt on our part to either make up for our deficit or pay forward for His mercy… both of which are an abomination to God and will only end in added weariness in doing what we are doing.
Bottom line --- go back to the words of our Lord to the church at Ephesus to remember, repent, and return to our first love.
- JT – Question Two… “FROM THE MENTAL ASPECT” –
Does this principle apply to all aspects of life, as we mentally seek to overcome the weariness in doing what is right?
Absolutely because everything in life is to be done as “unto the Lord.”
Colossians 3:23 (ESV) — 23 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men,
Therefore when we are seeking to do what is right at our job, in our marriage, or whatever we are doing … we are seeking to glorify God…
But also --- as we break down what we are doing it’s important to keep in mind our motivation of love… you do what you need to do at home out of your love for your wife and your boys… ((( ILL – Bruce )))
you do what you need to do at the job out of a love or respect for the person who is in authority…
but the bottom line motivation is that mentally we must remember that whatever we are doing … wherever we are doing it – we are doing it as “unto the Lord.” So that goes back to our motivation of love --- OUR LOVE FOR HIM based upon His great love for us.
- (JT) Third Question …. Turning to the physical aspect of life….
Let’s talk about how we keep going when we get weary in the physical side or how we can find the extra power and strength to keep going and finish strong.
- BB & JT discuss
Remember the days of college football when after a really hard practice… they would begin torturing us with conditioning drills … running, stair climbing, etc.??
If you want to finish strong add something to the end of your workouts that causes you to go the extra mile so to speak… like at the end of the run, pick up your weights and do a few sets… or at the end of our bike ride do some push ups or burpees….
Bob’s final comment – It takes discipline …. To follow good nutrition guidelines…
Point: DISCIPLINE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE --- in all aspects of life
Closing statement Bob…. “check out today’s show notes at bobbrubaker.com and click on the PowerBreak podcast – today’s show is 136.
- JT – Submit your questions by EMAIL to JT@bobbrubaker.com and listen for Bob’s answer on an upcoming PowerBreak Podcast
- (((commercial by Bob))) --- Running To Win
(((pause for music transition)))
(JT) Thank you for joining us for the PowerBreak Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a review where-ever you have downloaded the podcast. Check out the show notes, news, Bob’s weekly blog, and other cool things at bobbrubabaker.com and listen next time for the – “powerbreak podcast.”