133 - How Then Shall We Pray?
The PowerBreak Podcast
Program 133 – SHOW NOTES
THE Q&A FORMAT
- OPEN with Tease
(Bob) “This is the PowerBreak Podcast, number 133 titled:
How Then Shall We Pray
Pause for 5 seconds
– I’m Bob Brubaker along with JT as we hope you will stay tuned as we seek to give you a little power in this break to help you succeed in the race of life.”
- (JT) This is the – PowerBreak Podcast – with a focus on the spiritual, the mental, and the physical aspects – all to help you succeed in the race of life. For show notes from today’s podcast go to bobbrubaker.com and follow the link for the PowerBreak podcast.
- Welcome – Bob and JT – chit chat about life, walk with God, training, etc.
BB&JT: Plea and thank you for ratings and review & for spreading the word via social media and word of mouth…
BB – Do you find it hard to pray for people that are contrary to you? and What do you do?
JT: ANSWER & “How about you?
- Bob – POINT: Praying for our enemies or those who hold to things contrary to what we do is often a point of contention but we are told to pray for them, including those in governmental authority. The question is but how? How shall we then pray?
Romans 8:26–27 (ESV) — 26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. 27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
- JT ------ OK THEN LET’S TALK SOME MORE ABOUT THAT as we bring up… WHAT’S NEW – as we open Bob’s recent blog from bobbrubaker.com …
Bob, tell us what you wrote in your blog,
How Then Shall We Pray?
- Presentation and discussion of Bob’s published article,
- Bob and JT discuss highlights of the PowerBreak blog
How Then Shall We Pray?
- Bob concludes with “The PowerBreak blog is found at bobbrubaker.com” ((((:03 PAUSE))))
- JT – What’s happening Bob? Any news we need to know about this week?”…
- Bob - “Basic Prayer Training” and –… & Sermon link on the website.
- JT – “So here we go… in our time for WHAT ABOUT THIS… –– time for some questions and answers. Feel free to submit your questions by EMAIL TO JT@bobbrubaker.com and we’ll get to the answer on an upcoming PowerBreak. Podcast…
- JT – Question ONE - FROM THE SPIRITUAL SIDE OF LIFE….
What is the obligation we have to our government, according to the Bible?
The first thing is to pray for our leaders – that is NOT an option…
1 Timothy 2:1–3 (ESV) — 1 First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, 2 for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. 3 This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior,
The second thing is to obey the laws of the land….. again not an option
Romans 13:1–2 (ESV) — 1 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.
The third thing is to avoid complaining because that does no good at all and is actually a complaint about God… NOTICE AGAIN Romans 13:1
- JT – Question Two… “FROM THE MENTAL ASPECT” –
What should be our focus as we pray, obey, and avoid complaining?
And what do we do when those in authority order us something against God’s word?
First of all is our focus which is upon God and His word, realizing that every authority is there by the hand of God for His purpose… but as you pray for those leaders… keep in mind that God can change their heart….
Proverbs 21:1 (ESV) — 1 The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; he turns it wherever he will.
So first of all our submission is to God which is key in the second point…. When the authority in family, church, or government orders us to do something that is contrary to God’s word --- either commanding us to do something God forbids or forbidding us to do something God commands – WE RESIST..
- (JT) Third Question …. Turning to the physical aspect of life….
How important is the concept of “base mileage?”
- Bob’s answer…
- The concept is before you add intervals of any sort to your workouts, build a good base of easy to medium miles or yards in the case of swimming.
Illustration – before you go racing or riding in a group ride or run or swim where you’ll be pushing yourself – make sure you have done enough slow work in days, weeks, and even months before – otherwise you could be heading for an injury.
HOW ABOUT YOU JT?
Bob’s final comment – It takes discipline ….
Point: DISCIPLINE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE --- in all aspects of life
Closing statement Bob…. “check out today’s show notes at bobbrubaker.com and click on the PowerBreak podcast – today’s show is 133.
- JT – Submit your questions by EMAIL to JT@bobbrubaker.com and listen for Bob’s answer on an upcoming PowerBreak Podcast
- (((commercial by Bob))) --- Basic Prayer Training
(((pause for music transition)))
- (JT) Thank you for joining us for the PowerBreak Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a review where-ever you have downloaded the podcast. Check out the show notes, news, Bob’s weekly blog, and other cool things at bobbrubabaker.com and listen next time for the – “powerbreak podcast.”