131 - What’s On Your Reading List?
The PowerBreak Podcast
Program 131 – SHOW NOTES
THE Q&A FORMAT
- OPEN with Tease
(Bob) “This is the PowerBreak Podcast, number 131 titled:
What’s On Your Reading List?
Pause for 5 seconds
– I’m Bob Brubaker along with JT as we hope you will stay tuned as we seek to give you a little power in this break to help you succeed in the race of life.”
- (JT) This is the – PowerBreak Podcast – with a focus on the spiritual, the mental, and the physical aspects – all to help you succeed in the race of life. For show notes from today’s podcast go to bobbrubaker.com and follow the link for the PowerBreak podcast.
- Welcome – Bob and JT – chit chat about life, walk with God, training, etc.
BB&JT: Plea and thank you for ratings and review & for spreading the word via social media and word of mouth…
BB – What’s on your reading list for this year?
JT: ANSWER & “How about you?
- Bob – POINT: Whether we have it written down or just in our head, we all have books we’d like to read, need to read, or must read in the coming year… if not we could become pretty shallow, especially if the extent of our reading is what we see on social media. Reading can become a weariness to the flesh, as it says in the book of Ecclesiastes if we do not keep the most important thing in mind…
Ecclesiastes 12:12–14 (ESV) — 12 My son, beware of anything beyond these. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh. 13 The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. 14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.
What’s on your reading list?
- JT ------ OK THEN LET’S TALK SOME MORE ABOUT THAT as we bring up… WHAT’S NEW – as we open Bob’s recent blog from bobbrubaker.com …
Bob, tell us what you wrote in your blog,
What’s on your reading list?
- Presentation and discussion of Bob’s published article,
- Bob and JT discuss highlights of the PowerBreak blog
The Now Factor
- Bob concludes with “The PowerBreak blog is found at bobbrubaker.com” ((((:03 PAUSE))))
- JT – What’s happening Bob? Any news we need to know about this week?”…
- Bob - “The Battle For The Mind” and –… & Sermon link on the website.
- JT – “So here we go… in our time for WHAT ABOUT THIS… –– time for some questions and answers. Feel free to submit your questions by EMAIL TO JT@bobbrubaker.com and we’ll get to the answer on an upcoming PowerBreak. Podcast…
- JT – Question ONE - FROM THE SPIRITUAL SIDE OF LIFE….
As you pointed out the need to read, study, memorize, and apply God’s word … being at the priority of our reading list – WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO DEVELOP THAT HABIT?
- There are a plethora of Bible reading programs out there and there is really nothing wrong with anyone of them as long as you use them.
- Let’s just say you used the easy on of 3 chapters a day and 5 on Sunday – you’ll read the Bible through in a year….
- BUT THAT IS NOT NECESSARILY THE GOAL..
- It’s good to be aware with he entirety of the Bible as you get into the Bible but it’s more important to “get the Bible into you.”
- Just as you take up running or some other exercise in order to this engrained as a good habit --- you need to begin with baby steps or bite size pieces to build momentum.
- Say you start off with one chapter per day and build from there.
- Important as with any habit – same time, same place, and have everything laid out ahead of time. ((anchors))
- Studying is going in depth to cover a passage … there are many helps… look for one that promotes searching rather than just a “commentator”
- MEMORIZING is really important – benefits – keep you from sin, ((psa 119)) – promotes mediation ((psa 1)) – means you’ll never be without, and helps in sharing the Gospel. Begin with one verse per week.
- APPLYING is where the rubber meets the road… if you don’t apply what you read, study, and memorize then you’ve missed the mark.
- JT – Question Two… “FROM THE MENTAL ASPECT” –
In general how does a person go from being a “social media” junkie in reading quips to reading books which will do them good?
Make the decision that you are going to read books and dedicate your time to improvement in the coming year.
Prepare by having the materials at hand, just like your phone is always at hand
Discipline yourself to apply to reading whenever you had the urge to check your social media.
I realize that some social media in keep up with friends can be fruitful but it’s designed to get you addicted to come back again and again… spending thoughtless time on the screen
- (JT) Third Question …. Turning to the physical aspect of life….
- How did 2020 change the way we view physical training and competition?
- Bob’s answer…
- In General …
- Basically no competition or large group events
- Training was limited in many places
- Required creativity… (home gyms, outdoor activities)
- Swimming at the beach rather than at the pool
- Weights ..
HOW ABOUT YOU JT?
Bob’s final comment – It takes discipline ….
Point: DISCIPLINE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE --- in all aspects of life
Closing statement Bob…. “check out today’s show notes at bobbrubaker.com and click on the PowerBreak podcast – today’s show is 131.
- JT – Submit your questions by EMAIL to JT@bobbrubaker.com and listen for Bob’s answer on an upcoming PowerBreak Podcast
- (((commercial by Bob))) --- The Battle For The Mind
(((pause for music transition)))
- (JT) Thank you for joining us for the PowerBreak Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a review where-ever you have downloaded the podcast. Check out the show notes, news, Bob’s weekly blog, and other cool things at bobbrubabaker.com and listen next time for the – “powerbreak podcast.”