122 -Discontentment Versus Contentment
The PowerBreak Podcast
Program 122 – SHOW NOTES
THE Q&A FORMAT
- OPEN with Tease
(Bob) “This is the PowerBreak Podcast, number 122 titled:
Discontentment Versus Contentment
Pause for 5 seconds
– I’m Bob Brubaker along with JT as we hope you will stay tuned as we seek to give you a little power in this break to help you succeed in the race of life.”
- (JT) This is the – PowerBreak Podcast – with a focus on the spiritual, the mental, and the physical aspects – all to help you succeed in the race of life. For show notes from today’s podcast go to bobbrubaker.com and follow the link for the PowerBreak podcast.
- Welcome – Bob and JT – chit chat about life, walk with God, training, etc.
BB&JT: Plea and thank you for ratings and review & for spreading the word via social media and word of mouth…
BB – Describe two scenarios in your life…
When you felt very discontented…
And when you felt very contented…
- JT: ANSWER
- JT – How about you?
- Bob – POINT: Too often we get discontentment and contentment reversed where we are content in staying as we are… but discontent about the way God has provided for us…
The same person who said as many as be mature spiritually should be thinking like him as in discontent with his spiritual progress as he says….
Philippians 3:12–15 (ESV) — 12 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. 13 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you.
On the other hand… Paul makes it clear that concerning what God had provided for him, he learned to be content…
Philippians 4:11–13 (ESV) — 11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
Discontent with his spiritual progress which kept him pressing forward…
Content with God’s provision which kept him from inappropriate discontentment…
- JT ------ OK THEN LET’S TALK SOME MORE ABOUT THAT as we bring up… WHAT’S NEW – as we open Bob’s recent blog from bobbrubaker.com …
Bob, tell us what you wrote in your blog,
Discontentment Versus Contentment
- Presentation and discussion of Bob’s published article,
- Bob and JT discuss highlights of the PowerBreak blog
Discontentment Versus Contentment
- Bob concludes with “The PowerBreak blog is found at bobbrubaker.com” ((((:03 PAUSE))))
- JT – What’s happening Bob? Any news we need to know about this week?”…
- Bob - “Finding Delight In The Lord’s Day ” and –… & Sermon link on the website.
- JT – “So here we go… in our time for WHAT ABOUT THIS… –– time for some questions and answers. Feel free to submit your questions by EMAIL TO JT@bobbrubaker.com and we’ll get to the answer on an upcoming PowerBreak. Podcast…
- JT – Question ONE FROM THE SPIRITUAL SIDE OF LIFE….
Help us understand when and how the discontentment of life is right… and when contentment in life is wrong.
Let’s call up and dissect a scenario where a guy is quite discontented with his job… his first thought is that God is stirring his nest to move him on to something better… which it could be….
Deuteronomy 32:11–13 (ESV) — 11 Like an eagle that stirs up its nest, that flutters over its young, spreading out its wings, catching them, bearing them on its pinions, 12 the Lord alone guided him, no foreign god was with him. 13 He made him ride on the high places of the land, and he ate the produce of the field, and he suckled him with honey out of the rock, and oil out of the flinty rock.
THAT ONLY HAPPENS WHEN WE HAVE LEARNED TO BE CONTENT WHERE WE ARE AND THE LORD STIRS US UP…
Too often we get mad or disappointed by our lot in life and are discontented… where we should be contented… then instead of finding as Phil 4:13 says that we can do all things (viz. be content in all circumstances) we are live in discontent which means we are in no position to take on something new… because God is sanctifying us where we are… often the our discontentment leads to a move which means we carry the unlearned lessons in sanctification which will have to be relearned… at the new location..
On the other hand… another scenario is a person is just content with their spiritual walk with God which by the way often leads to a discontentment with life and the provision God has given… but when a person becomes discontent with their walk with God… they are moved to do something about it… viz. prayer life, bible Reading, fellowship, etc….. and low and behold they also find that that discontentment leads to true contentment in God’s. provisions…
- JT – Question Two… “FROM THE MENTAL ASPECT” –
Is there a mental aspect to playing this discontentment. Vs. contentment internal match.
Of course… as we always seem to bring up … the spiritual and the mental run hand in hand… if you are working on your spiritual discontentment you will find contentment in God and what He is doing and the way He is providing… which will affect the way you think…
And conversely …. When you are discontent with life mentally, then you will unfocused spiritually and seek to be more interested in finding comfort than growing spiritually…
By the way… this principle also applies to the physical side but we’ll get to that in a moment…
- (JT) Third Question …. Turning to the physical aspect of life….
Since you started it – now finish it… how does this contentment vs discontentment. Principle apply to the physical side of life?
- Bob’s answer…
- You heard it a number of times that people don’t start a physical program until they get discontented with where they are… viz. the doctors order to workout or die…
- Or the motivation to train hard or be embarrassed at the next competition…
- On the other hand… those who are always pursuing their goals… find the contentment in living in discontentment
Bob’s final comment – It takes discipline ….
Point: DISCIPLINE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE --- in all aspects of life
Closing statement Bob…. “check out today’s show notes at bobbrubaker.com and click on the PowerBreak podcast – today’s show is 122
- JT – Submit your questions by EMAIL to JT@bobbrubaker.com and listen for Bob’s answer on an upcoming PowerBreak Podcast
- (((commercial by Bob))) --- Fiding Delight In The Lord’s Day
(((pause for music transition)))
- (JT) Thank you for joining us for the PowerBreak Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a review where-ever you have downloaded the podcast. Check out the show notes, news, Bob’s weekly blog, and other cool things at bobbrubabaker.com and listen next time for the – “powerbreak podcast.”