120 - A Call For Mentors
The PowerBreak Podcast
Program 120 – SHOW NOTES
THE Q&A FORMAT
- OPEN with Tease
(Bob) “This is the PowerBreak Podcast, number 120 titled:
A Call For Mentors
Pause for 5 seconds
– I’m Bob Brubaker along with JT as we hope you will stay tuned as we seek to give you a little power in this break to help you succeed in the race of life.”
- (JT) This is the – PowerBreak Podcast – with a focus on the spiritual, the mental, and the physical aspects – all to help you succeed in the race of life. For show notes from today’s podcast go to bobbrubaker.com and follow the link for the PowerBreak podcast.
- Welcome – Bob and JT – chit chat about life, walk with God, training, etc.
BB&JT: Plea and thank you for ratings and review & for spreading the word via social media and word of mouth…
BB – Tell me about a mentor you had in your life that really made an impact.
((JT relays his experience in mentoring…))
- JT: ANSWER
- JT – How about you? Who have you had as a mentor in your life?
- Bob – POINT: Mentoring or discipling is really not an option…
2 Timothy 2:1–2 (ESV) — 1 You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus, 2 and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also.
That’s the biblical design…
- JT ------ OK THEN LET’S TALK SOME MORE ABOUT THAT as we bring up… WHAT’S NEW – as we open Bob’s recent blog from bobbrubaker.com …
Bob, tell us what you wrote in your blog,
A Call For Mentors
- Presentation and discussion of Bob’s published article,
- Bob and JT discuss highlights of the PowerBreak blog
Are you available?
- Bob concludes with “The PowerBreak blog is found at bobbrubaker.com” ((((:03 PAUSE))))
- JT – What’s happening Bob? Any news we need to know about this week?”…
- Bob - “Finding Delight In The Lord’s Day” and –… & Sermon link on the website.
- JT – “So here we go… in our time for WHAT ABOUT THIS… –– time for some questions and answers. Feel free to submit your questions by EMAIL TO JT@bobbrubaker.com and we’ll get to the answer on an upcoming PowerBreak. Podcast…
- JT – Question ONE FROM THE SPIRITUAL SIDE OF LIFE….
Why is mentoring so important? And is it as important to be mentored as it is to mentor….
The answer to the second question first is … YES – both are important in our lives… a the old preacher said – everyone of us needs a Paul and a Timothy in our lives.. we need a mentor and we need to mentor….
2 Timothy 2:1–2 (ESV) — 1 You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus, 2 and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.
It is or should be a vital part of the Church… after all the great commission tells us to what?
Matthew 28:18–20 (ESV) — 18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
Jesus had many disciples but he had 12 apostles to whom He built into their lives and then there were three Peter James and John that he mentored even more ….
In one sense parenting is a great part of this or should be but it also needs to go beyond the parent child relationship.
One thing about mentoring --- you can’t take someone else to the next level unless you are willing to go there yourself…
- JT – Question Two… “FROM THE MENTAL ASPECT” –
What if we don’t have a Paul or Timothy in our lives… do we just give up on this mentoring aspect?
- Recognize it as a need and ask God to bring you into contact with someone who will mentor you… you may need to ask them
- And ask someone if you can mentor them…
- It’s a step out of the comfort zone – both ways but it’s part of accelerated growth
- (JT) Third Question …. Turning to the physical aspect of life….
How important is having a coach?
- Bob’s answer…
- Realistic achievement (testing)
- Someone in your corner - encouragement
Bob’s final comment – It takes discipline ….
Point: DISCIPLINE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE --- in all aspects of life
Closing statement Bob…. “check out today’s show notes at bobbrubaker.com and click on the PowerBreak podcast – today’s show is 120
- JT – Submit your questions by EMAIL to JT@bobbrubaker.com and listen for Bob’s answer on an upcoming PowerBreak Podcast
- (((commercial by Bob))) --- Finding Delight In The Lord’s Day
(((pause for music transition)))
- (JT) Thank you for joining us for the PowerBreak Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a review where-ever you have downloaded the podcast. Check out the show notes, news, Bob’s weekly blog, and other cool things at bobbrubabaker.com and listen next time for the – “powerbreak podcast.”