072 - The Call Of Convenience
The PowerBreak Podcast
Program 072 – SHOW NOTES
THE Q&A FORMAT
- OPEN with Tease
(Bob) “This is the PowerBreak Podcast, number 072 titled:
“The Call Of Convenience”
– I’m Bob Brubaker along with JT as we hope you will stay tuned as we seek to give you a little power in this break to help you succeed in the race of life.”
- (JT) This is the – PowerBreak Podcast – with a focus on the spiritual, the mental, and the physical aspects – all to help you succeed in the race of life. For show notes from today’s podcast go to bobbrubaker.com and follow the link for the PowerBreak podcast.
- Welcome – Bob and JT – chit chat about life, walk with God, training, etc.
- BB – Are you ever pulled into the trap of convenience?
- JT - (((answer)))
- JT – How does that convenience trap get to you?
- BB (((answer)))
- Bob – POINT: Fighting off the call to convenience is something we all face… because things we want to do are not necessarily convenient and things convenient are not necessarily the things we really want to do.
Ecclesiastes 5:12 (ESV) — 12 Sweet is the sleep of a laborer, whether he eats little or much, but the full stomach of the rich will not let him sleep.
Let’s make sure we don’t give into the call to convenience … but have the backbone to stand up and pursue what is good no matter how inconvenient…
- JT --- LET’S TALK SOME MORE ABOUT THAT as we bring up… WHAT’S NEW – as we open Bob’s recent blog from bobbrubaker.com …
Bob, tell us what you wrote in your blog,
“The Call Of Convenience”
- Presentation and discussion of Bob’s published article,
- “The Call Of Convenience”
- Bob and JT discuss highlights of the PowerBreak blog
- Bob concludes with “The PowerBreak blog is found at bobbrubaker.com”
- JT – What’s happening Bob? Any news we need to know about this week?”…
- Bob (((BOOK PITCH FOR “Finding Delight In The Lord’s Day”))))
–… & Sermon link on the website.
- JT – “So here we go… in our time for WHAT ABOUT THIS… –– time for some questions and answers. Feel free to submit your questions by EMAIL TO JT@bobbrubaker.com and we’ll get to the answer on an upcoming PowerBreak. Podcast…
- JT – Question ONE
When we talk about convenience, it sounds like Christian life is designed to be inconvenient… is that a correct assessment?
It’s not a convenient life with no turmoil, determination, or hardship… On the contrary… Look what Jesus said….
Luke 9:23 (ESV) — 23 And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.
Luke 9:57–58 (ESV) — 57 As they were going along the road, someone said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.” 58 And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.”
John 16:33 (ESV) — 33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
2 Timothy 3:12 (ESV) — 12 Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,
It’s not an easy life but it’s a life filled with HOPE… and hope keeps us going…
Romans 5:1–5 (ESV) — 1 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4 and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5 and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
- JT – Question Two…
How can we apply this principle of pressing through the call to convenience from a mental standpoint?
1 Corinthians 9:24–27 (ESV) — 24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. 25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. 27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
Hebrews 12:1–2 (ESV) — 1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
CONCLUSION – Anything worthwhile in life seems always to be counter to the call to convenience. That is not to say that giving into what is convenient is always sinful but it means that in order to get what you really want in life, you have to go beyond the convenient…
- (JT) Third Question …. Turning to the physical aspect of life….
Let’s talk about coaching… you’ve had a coach for your endurance sports haven’t you?
And you’ve been a coach, right? ((BB))
What is the value of a weekend warior, or any other athlete having a coach?
The Value lies in accountability. It’s that extra kick to keep you from giving into the call of convenience…
(((example))) – You go for a run, a swim, a bike ride, or even in the weight room and you have a workout you have either lifted from somewhere or you’ve designed yourself.. then you begin and you find you are not really motivated and you end up cutting it short or you cut the effort.
POINT – if you had a coach standing there OR one to whom you report your workout results… You would be more apt to finish the workout.
Granted some people can self coach and push themselves but most people can’t so the accountability is priceless…
Secondly The value lies in building off of assessment…. We may have some lofty goals and end up injured or discouraged from biting off too much too soon.. but an experienced coach knows how to take you from where you are to where you want to be and be realistic about the time of that change and will be constantly assessing progress and making adjustments. We don’t have that ability personally.
In addition there is always the encouragement and positive feedback a coach can give you to be disciplined enough to avoid the call to convenience… A COACH IS QUITE VALUABLE…In any form thereof…
Point: DISCIPLINE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE --- in all aspects of life
- Closing statement Bob…. “check out today’s show notes at bobbrubaker.com and click on the PowerBreak podcast – today’s show is 072
- JT – Submit your questions by EMAIL to JT@bobbrubaker.com and listen for Bob’s answer on an upcoming PowerBreak Podcast
- (((commercial by Bob))) --- Basic Prayer Training
(((pause for music transition)))
- (JT) Thank you for joining us for the PowerBreak Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a review where-ever you have downloaded the podcast. Check out the show notes, news, Bob’s weekly blog, and other cool things at bobbrubabaker.com and listen next time for the – “powerbreak podcast.”