068 - A Sure Anchor For The Soul
The PowerBreak Podcast
Program 068 – SHOW NOTES
THE Q&A FORMAT
- OPEN with Tease
(Bob) “This is the PowerBreak Podcast, number 068 titled:
“A sure anchor for the soul”
– I’m Bob Brubaker along with JT as we hope you will stay tuned as we seek to give you a little power in this break to help you succeed in the race of life.”
- (JT) This is the – PowerBreak Podcast – with a focus on the spiritual, the mental, and the physical aspects – all to help you succeed in the race of life. For show notes from today’s podcast go to bobbrubaker.com and follow the link for the PowerBreak podcast.
- Welcome – Bob and JT – chit chat about life, walk with God, training, etc.
- BB – Did you ever have a secret hiding place when you were a kid?
- JT - (((answer)))
- JT – Where does a pastor find a refuge from the storms of lie?
- BB (((answer)))
- Bob – POINT: We all need a hiding place or place of refuge… it may not be an actual physical place but something by which we find an anchor for the soul namely the PROMISES OF GOD
Hebrews 6:17–20 (ESV) — 17 So when God desired to show more convincingly to the heirs of the promise the unchangeable character of his purpose, he guaranteed it with an oath, 18 so that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us. 19 We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, 20 where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf, having become a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.
God cannot lie because in addition to being Holy, He has no reason to lie. In fact He declares in His word that He works all things after the counsel of His will and if He wills something, it will come to pass for sure!
An anchor for the soul in the promises of God….
- JT --- LET’S TALK SOME MORE ABOUT THAT as we bring up… WHAT’S NEW – as we open Bob’s recent blog from bobbrubaker.com …
Bob, tell us what you wrote in your blog,
“A sure anchor for the soul”
- Presentation and discussion of Bob’s published article,
“A Sure Anchor For the Soul”
- Bob and JT discuss highlights of the PowerBreak blog
- Bob concludes with “The PowerBreak blog is found at bobbrubaker.com”
- JT – What’s happening Bob? Any news we need to know about this week?”…
- Bob (((BOOK PITCH FOR “Power In The Valley ”))))
–… & Sermon link on the website.
- JT – “So here we go… in our time for WHAT ABOUT THIS… –– time for some questions and answers. Feel free to submit your questions by EMAIL TO JT@bobbrubaker.com and we’ll get to the answer on an upcoming PowerBreak. Podcast…
- JT – Question ONE
Why is it important to rely upon the promises of God?
Hebrews 11:1–2 (ESV) — 1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. 2 For by it the people of old received their commendation.
Hebrews 11:6 (ESV) — 6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.
2 Peter 1:3–4 (ESV) — 3 His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, 4 by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.
1 Corinthians 15:1–4 (ESV) — 1 Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, 2 and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. 3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures,
Romans 10:13 (ESV) — 13 For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
- JT – Help us out here… how do we apply this principle from a mental viewpoint?
Psalm 1 (ESV) — 1 Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; 2 but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. 3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. 4 The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away. 5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous; 6 for the Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.
Anything you do spiritually includes the mental focus and an attitude of “all in” or as Paul said, PRESS ON… it’s not easy but it’s the only way of blessing
So when it comes to the promises of God – mentally we bring our minds upon those promises to spiritually feed upon them as we trust God
((((WEEKLY POWER PAGE))) GRATITUDE
- (JT) Turning to the physical aspect of life….
We are entering the cold and flu season around here now… so what have you heard about precautions, especially for those who want to work out…
- Wash your hands frequently, especially before eating. Regular soap and water work wonders. ALSO - Use hand sanitizer if you can’t wash with soap and water.
- Get a flu shot. Consult your physician first, of course.
- Minimize time spent in crowds, especially indoors and in small spaces. Be especially careful around gym equipment and group training classes.
- Try not to touch your face or put your fingers in your mouth or nose.
- Don’t share food or drinks with friends, and avoid communal foods (chips, dips, nuts, candy, etc.)
- Stay hydrated. Mucus membranes in the nose and throat don’t work as well when they’re dry, so staying hydrated helps your natural defenses work better.
- Sleep more! Even if you can add one more hour of sleep to your normal routine, the added recovery makes you less susceptible to infection.
- Reduce lifestyle stress. All stress (training, lifestyle, nutrition, etc.) takes a toll on immune function, so if you’re training hard make an extra effort to reduce stress in other areas.
Point: DISCIPLINE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE --- in all aspects of life
- Closing statement Bob…. “check out today’s show notes at bobbrubaker.com and click on the PowerBreak podcast – today’s show is 068
- JT – Submit your questions by EMAIL to JT@bobbrubaker.com and listen for Bob’s answer on an upcoming PowerBreak Podcast
- (((commercial by Bob))) --- Sponsorship For Every Athlete
(((pause for music transition)))
- (JT) Thank you for joining us for the PowerBreak Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a review where-ever you have downloaded the podcast. Check out the show notes, news, Bob’s weekly blog, and other cool things at bobbrubabaker.com and listen next time for the – “powerbreak podcast.”