064 - The Power of "I can" in "I can't"
The PowerBreak Podcast
Program 064 – SHOW NOTES
THE Q&A FORMAT
- OPEN with Tease
(Bob) “This is the PowerBreak Podcast, number 064 titled:
“The Power of “I CAN” in “I CAN’T””
– I’m Bob Brubaker along with JT as we hope you will stay tuned as we seek to give you a little power in this break to help you succeed in the race of life.”
- (JT) This is the – PowerBreak Podcast – with a focus on the spiritual, the mental, and the physical aspects – all to help you succeed in the race of life. For show notes from today’s podcast go to bobbrubaker.com and follow the link for the PowerBreak podcast.
- Welcome – Bob and JT – chit chat about life, walk with God, training, etc.
- BB – You have accomplished some pretty significant things in life … what do you say to yourself when things get tough?
- JT - (((answer)))
- JT – Any self-reminders you give yourself?
- BB (((answer)))
- Bob – POINT: It’s all part of taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ….
BUT have you ever thought of the power of saying, “I can’t?” instead of “I can”
2 Corinthians 12:7–10 (ESV) — 7 So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
“For when I am weak, then I am strong.”
“The Power of “I CAN” in “I CAN’T”
- JT --- LET’S TALK SOME MORE ABOUT THAT as we bring up… WHAT’S NEW – as we open Bob’s recent blog from bobbrubaker.com …
Bob, tell us what you wrote in your blog,
“The Power of “I CAN” in “I CAN’T”
- Presentation and discussion of Bob’s published article,
“The Power of “I CAN” in “I CAN’T”
- Bob and JT discuss highlights of the PowerBreak blog
- Bob concludes with “The PowerBreak blog is found at bobbrubaker.com”
- JT – What’s happening Bob? Any news we need to know about this week?”…
- Bob (((BOOK PITCH FOR “Power In Time Management”))))
–… & Sermon link on the website.
- JT – “So here we go… in our time for WHAT ABOUT THIS… –– time for some questions and answers. Feel free to submit your questions by EMAIL TO JT@bobbrubaker.com and we’ll get to the answer on an upcoming PowerBreak. Podcast…
- JT – Question ONE
Is there anything wrong in reminding yourself, “I can” when you face a difficult situation?
Matthew 5:3–10 (ESV) — 3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. 5 “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. 6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. 7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy. 8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. 9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. 10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Hebrews 11:6 (ESV) — 6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.
James 4:8–10 (ESV) — 8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.
- JT – The entire article seemed like a mental / spiritual exercise so how do we apply it from a mental viewpoint?
- Think on these things…
Philippians 4:8 (ESV) — 8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
Where is that found?
In the Lord Jesus Christ – FOCUS ON HIM AND HIS STRENGTH, HIS HOLINESS, HIS VICTORY… and admit your weakness and unworthiness… but acceptance before God because of Him.
Romans 8:31–37 (ESV) — 31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? 33 Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36 As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.” 37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.
CONCLUSION – When we focus upon Christ we take our focus away from our problem or challenge and away from ourselves - that’s when we find He is all we need and by His strength made perfect in our weakness or our “can’t” we’ll find we “can” through Him.
- (JT) Turning to the physical aspect of life….
Again it sounds like a spiritual thing but how does joy play a role our physical training?
- Ever told by a parent just to “have fun” when you played a sport?
- Ever notice the athletes that are having fun seem to do the best?
Galatians 5:22 (ESV) — 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
Philippians 4:4 (ESV) — 4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice.
- When you are finding joy – then pressure or pain take a different perspective..
- This may mean you have to refocus and to find your joy
- (((chariots of fire --- illustration)) when I run I feel His pleasure)))
- Celebrate the little things and the big things…
- Make reasonable goals and celebrate the accomplishment
- If you enjoy your activity “find joy” in it then you’ll be more likely to keep it going.
- THAT TAKES DISCIPLINE to prepare, participation, and perseverance
Point: DISCIPLINE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE --- in all aspects of life
- Closing statement Bob…. “check out today’s show notes at bobbrubaker.com and click on the PowerBreak podcast – today’s show is 064
- JT – Submit your questions by EMAIL to JT@bobbrubaker.com and listen for Bob’s answer on an upcoming PowerBreak Podcast
- (((commercial by Bob))) --- THE POWER OF GRATITUDE – 30 day marriage challenge
(((pause for music transition)))
- (JT) Thank you for joining us for the PowerBreak Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a review where-ever you have downloaded the podcast. Check out the show notes, news, Bob’s weekly blog, and other cool things at bobbrubabaker.com and listen next time for the – “powerbreak podcast.”