056 - Getting Set Through Prayer
The PowerBreak Podcast
Program 056 – SHOW NOTES
THE Q&A FORMAT
- OPEN with Tease
(Bob) “This is the PowerBreak Podcast, number 056, titled:
“Getting Set Through Prayer”
– I’m Bob Brubaker along with JT as we hope you will stay tuned as we seek to give you a little power in this break to help you succeed in the race of life.”
- (JT) This is the – PowerBreak Podcast – with a focus on the spiritual, the mental, and the physical aspects – all to help you succeed in the race of life. For show notes from today’s podcast go to bobbrubaker.com and follow the link for the PowerBreak podcast.
- Welcome – Bob and JT – chit chat about life, walk with God, training, etc.
PITCH FOR THE INTERVIEW PODCASTS
- BB – Did you have any pregame rituals you’d go through when you played college football?
- JT - (((answer)))
- BB – How about today – do you have any rituals you go through as a police officer to prepare for the day?
- JT (((answer)))
- JT – How about when you were competing in Ironman – what kind of rituals did you have?
- BB (((answer)))
- JT – Do ministers have rituals on Sunday before you preach?
- BB (((answer)))
- Bob – POINT: We all have some sort of regular activities we carry out in our regular or not so regular activities… “Call them rituals – habits – routines … whatever… Not a bad thing but the question is where is prayer?
Luke 6:12–16 (ESV) — 12 In these days he went out to the mountain to pray, and all night he continued in prayer to God. 13 And when day came, he called his disciples and chose from them twelve, whom he named apostles: 14 Simon, whom he named Peter, and Andrew his brother, and James and John, and Philip, and Bartholomew, 15 and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon who was called the Zealot, 16 and Judas the son of James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor.
It’s been proven – the world will say if you meditate daily you’ll find more success and less stress in life --- but what if you meditated upon God’s word and actually spent time in prayer – You’ll be actually tapping into God’s formula for less stress and true success
- JT --- LET’S TALK SOME MORE ABOUT THAT as we bring up… WHAT’S NEW – as we open Bob’s recent blog from bobbrubaker.com …
Bob, tell us what you wrote in your blog, “Getting Set Through Prayer”
- Presentation and discussion of Bob’s published article,
““Getting Set Through Prayer””
- Bob and JT discuss highlights of the PowerBreak blog
- Bob concludes with “The PowerBreak blog is found at bobbrubaker.com”
- JT – What’s happening Bob? Any news we need to know about this week?”…
- Bob (((BOOK PITCH FOR “Finding Delight In The Lord’s Day”))))
–… & Sermon link on the website.
- JT – “So here we go… in our time for WHAT ABOUT THIS… –– time for some questions and answers. Feel free to submit your questions by EMAIL TO JT@bobbrubaker.com and we’ll get to the answer on an upcoming PowerBreak. Podcast…
- JT – Question ONE
Getting set through prayer seems so logical but what if a person says, I just don’t have time?
- Response from most people
Motivation from Jesus, the early church, Martin Luther, etc.
- You have time for the things that are important
- You mark it down as important when you put it on your calendar
Luke 9:23 (ESV) — 23 And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.
1 Corinthians 9:24–27 (ESV) — 24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. 25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. 27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
Luke 6:46 (ESV) — 46 “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?
PRECEPT AND EXAMPLE
Psalm 1:1–3 (ESV) — 1 Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; 2 but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. 3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers.
CONCLUSION – We do what we want… and if we want to get set through prayer and meditation we have to make time for it and putting it on your calendar is the first step then there is having a specific place and establishing a routine or habit that takes about 13 weeks so make a determination to establish a good ritual…
- (JT) The next question is from a mental standpoint…
It’s so easy to beat yourself up over blowing off a day… How does a person get over that?
GRACE – forgiveness – “Second chance” Third chance… etc.
Luke 15 – story of the prodical son….
- Father waited and looked for his son
- Son repented and sought forgiveness
- Father restored…
ENCOURAGEMENT; God forgives – God gives grace to get back in the race
1 John 1:8–10 (ESV) — 8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
- (JT) Turning to the physical aspect of life….
This is kind of a mental thing but it has to do with the physical…
What is a person to do when they find they are not working out as they had planned or would like to?
- It’s more than just beat yourself up for allowing things to get in the way or “get tough” – interruptions are part of life… because we have a life other than training. Recognize it and deal with it.
It’s good to first of all, identify the things that are the cause of your interruption…
Secondly, think things through – what is causing the interruption and how you can deal with it … maybe work around it… ((( needs of your children)))
Thirdly, there are times you need to let it go – you just can’t workout in this season of your life like you did at one time in the past and you may again have time in the future but WHAT CAN YOU DO NOW… (eat sleep exercise) – different goals
- What say you JT?
Point: DISCIPLINE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE --- in all aspects of life
- Closing statement Bob…. “check out today’s show notes at bobbrubaker.com and click on the PowerBreak podcast – today’s show is 056
- JT – Submit your questions by EMAIL to JT@bobbrubaker.com and listen for Bob’s answer on an upcoming PowerBreak Podcast
- (((commercial by Bob))) --- One Breath From Death
(((pause for music transition)))
- (JT) Thank you for joining us for the PowerBreak Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a review where-ever you have downloaded the podcast. Check out the show notes, news, Bob’s weekly blog, and other cool things at bobbrubaker.com and listen next time for the – “powerbreak podcast.”