009 - What do you do when you get discouraged
The PowerBreak Podcast
Program 009 – show notes
THE Q&A FORMAT
- OPEN with Tease
(Bob) “This is the PowerBreak Podcast, number 009, titled “What do you do when you get discouraged” – I’m Bob Brubaker along with JT as we hope you will stay tuned as we seek to give you a little power in this little break to help you succeed in the race of life.”
- (JT) This is the – PowerBreak Podcast – with a focus on the spiritual, the mental, and the physical aspects – all to help you succeed in the race of life. For show notes from today’s podcast go to bobbrubaker.com and follow the link for the PowerBreak podcast.
- Welcome – Bob and JT – chit chat about life, walk with God, training, etc.
- Bob – Do you ever get discouraged?
- What do you do about it?
- JT – Do ministers ever get discouraged?
Bob’s answer – (((ELIJAH)))
- JT --- We’ll be talking about on this show but first… it’s time for WHAT’S NEW – as we look at Bob’s most recent blog from bobbrubaker.com … Bob, What’s New?
- Presentation and discussion of Bob’s published article,
An antidote for discouragement
- Bob and JT discuss highlights of the PowerBreak blog
- Bob concludes with “The PowerBreak blog is found at bobbrubaker.com”
- JT – “. What’s happening Bob? Any news we need to know about this week?”…
- Bob (((BOOK PITCH FOR “The Battle For the Mind)) & Sermon link on the website including my sermons through the book of Revelation.
- JT – “So here we go… in our time for WHAT ABOUT THIS… –– time for some questions and answers. Feel free to submit your questions by EMAIL TO email@example.com and we’ll get to the answer on an upcoming PowerBreak. Podcast…
- Bob – COMMENTS on Q& A.
- JT – Ready for Question ONE
You alluded to this in your PowerBreak article, but what are some ways to get beyond discouragement when it comes up in life?
First – YOU ARE NOT ALONE… (Elijah, Jeremiah, even hints that Jesus was discouraged… although Isaiah says… “he shall not fail nor be discouraged”
John 12:27 (ESV) — 27 “Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? But for this purpose I have come to this hour.
Secondly take note what Jesus said to hang onto when you are…
John 16:33 (ESV) — 33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
Thirdly – take note what people in the Bible did when they were discouraged…
- Elijah ate and slept and obeyed
- John worshipped
Hebrews 10:24–25 (ESV) — 24 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
- Seek to help others
- (JT) I get the spiritual connection but what about the Mental aspects of facing discouragement?
- (BOB) --- It’s really all connected. Where are you focused when you are discouraged?
Where are you focused when you are not discouraged?
2 Corinthians 10:4–5 (ESV) — 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. 5 We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,
- It take discipline…
Philippians 4:8–9 (ESV) — 8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 9 What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
Philippians 3:12–15 (ESV) — 12 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. 13 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you.
- ANTS = automatic negative thoughts --- positive self talk or thoughts…
- (JT) What about the physical aspect? It’s well known that discouraged people show it in their body language – right.
- (BOB) – Good Point! Athletes – if you want to be like…. Look the part!
Look good, feel good, do good – something like that…
Marathon / Ironman experience…
- Closing statement Bob…. “check out today’s show notes at bobbrubaker.com and click on the PowerBreak podcast – today’s show is 009
- JT – Submit your questions by EMAIL to firstname.lastname@example.org and listen for Bob’s answer on an upcoming PowerBreak Podcast
- (((commercial by Bob))) --- Power In The Valley
- (JT) Thank you for joining us for the PowerBreak Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a review where ever you have downloaded the podcast. Check out the show notes, news, Bob’s weekly blog, and other cool things at bobbrubaker.com and listen next time for the – “powerbreak podcast.”